Lincoln, Neb. – The Nebraska men’s tennis team (6-14, 2-3 Big Ten) finished the weekend 1-1 after a heartbreaking loss to the Northwestern Wildcats (15-7, 4-2 Big Ten), 4- 3 at the Dillon Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon.
The action began with a doubles game as the No. 2 team of Shunya Maruyama and Dario Huber won the opener against Brian Berdusco and Simen Bratholm of Northwestern, 6-3. They have now won six of their last seven doubles matches and are ranked 85th in the latest ITA Doubles rankings. In place of n°3, the duo of William Glenon and calvin muller beat Natan Spear and Trice Pickens, 6-4, to clinch the doubles point for Nebraska.
On court n°1, Victor Moreno Lozano and by Nic Wiedenhorn the game was called 5-5 against Northwestern’s No. 58 team of Steven Forman and Felix Nordby and the point was awarded to the Huskers.
In singles action, No. 36 Forman beat Huber in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1, to give the Wildcats their first point of the game. Maruyama then dropped his match at No. 3 against Pickens, who is ranked No. 118 in singles, in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1. Northwestern took a 3-1 lead following a fourth-place Presley Thieneman victory over Lozano, 6-4, 6-1.
Roni Hietaranta then rallied for the Huskers’ first singles win of the afternoon as he beat Nordby in straight sets, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2. It gave him his team’s 11th win of the season and cut the Wildcat’s lead to 3-2. Mueller then upset No. 94 Bratholm in a three-set thriller, 6-2, 6-7(3), 6-4, to tie the game at three. It was also his second straight singles victory over a ranked opponent.
Berdusco won the match for the Wildcats after beating Gleason in a three-set classic, 6-3, 6-7(6), 6-3. Gleason managed to fight back to take the tiebreaker in the second set, but ultimately fell short in the third.
Then the Huskers hit the road to continue conference play as they travel to Purdue on Saturday and Indiana on Sunday.
No. 26 Northwest 4, Nebraska 3
1. #36 Steve Forman (NU) def. Dario Huber (NEB) 6-1, 6-1
2. calvin muller (NEB) def. #94 Simen Bratholm (NU) 6-2, 6-7(3), 6-4
3. #118 Trice Pickens (NU) def. Shunya Maruyama (NEB) 6-2, 6-1
4. Presley Thieneman (NU) def. Victor Moreno Lozano (NEB) 6-4, 6-1
5. Roni Hietaranta (NEB) def. Felix Nordby (NU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Brian Berdusco (NU) def. William Glenon (NEB) 6-3, 6-7(6), 6-3
1. Victor Moreno Lozano/Nic Wiedenhorn (NEB) v #58 Steven Forman/Felix Nordby (NU) 5-5, unfinished
2. #85 Shunya Maruyama/Dario Huber (NEB) def. Brian Berdusco/Simen Bratholm (NU) 6-3
3. William Glenon/calvin muller (NEB) def. Natan Spear/Trice Pickens (NU) 6-4
No. 26 North West (15-7)
Finishing order: Doubles (2, 3) Singles (1, 3, 4, 5, 2, 6)