By Max Foster and Niamh Kennedy, CNN
Britain’s Prince Andrew has agreed to give a sworn statement on March 10 in the UK as part of the civil case against him, a source close to the Duke of York told CNN on Saturday.
Virginia Giuffre, who claims she was trafficked by disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein and forced to perform sex acts with the prince when she was 17, “still hasn’t committed to a date or a place for his deposition,” the source added.
Giuffre’s lawyer, David Boies, said in a statement last month that his legal team was “eager to confront Prince Andrew with his denials and attempts to blame Ms Giuffre for her own abuses during her deposition and the trial”.
Boies and another lawyer representing Giuffre, Sigrid McCawley, will conduct the deposition, which is expected to take two days, according to the Daily Telegraph.
Andrew, 61, has repeatedly denied Giuffre’s allegations.
The legal drama now playing out stems from a civil case Giuffre brought against Andrew under New York’s Child Victims Act, a state law enacted in 2019 that expanded the statute of limitations in the child sexual abuse cases to give survivors more opportunities to seek justice. A lawyer for Giuffre told CNN in August that the filing of the civil case should show that “all abusers should be held accountable.”
After a judge ruled the case could proceed, Andrew formally denied the allegations and demanded a jury trial, according to a legal filing last month in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Andrew has until July 14 to potentially answer questions about the case under oath. If the case is not settled, he could face a trial date between September and December 2022.
The filing date reveal comes as Queen Elizabeth celebrated 70 years on the throne, and the ongoing legal battle will hover over celebrations of the monarch’s historic milestone throughout the year.
The case could have major ramifications for Buckingham Palace. It would be unprecedented for a senior member of the British royal family to become embroiled in a very public civil trial that would draw worldwide attention.
Longstanding allegations against the Queen’s third child have already significantly tarnished his public reputation, and he stepped down from royal duties at the end of 2019. He was also stripped of his military titles and charitable works last month .
Sign up for CNN Royal Newsa weekly dispatch taking you behind the scenes of the royal family, what they do in public and what goes on behind the palace walls.
™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia company. All rights reserved.